PAVTYACHI AMTI



Pavtyachi amti or lima beans curry is a maharashtrian style preparation. Pavta is also known as vaal or farasbi or fava beans. A maharashtrian spice mix, goda masala is used in this recipe. If you don’t have it, skip it and go ahead with the recipe. You are still going to like it.



As school going kid I remember the pavtyachi amti I used to relish at my friend’s place with jowar bhakri. I don’t remember if I have ever complimented aunty for that amti. Next time I meet her I am surely gonna thank her for all those treats. Thank you Meghana for all those tasty lunches!

My recipe for Pavtyachi amti is inspired from my lunches at my friend’s home. The spicyness of this gravy can be adjusted according to preference.

Recipe for Pavtyachi Amti


Ingredients for Pavtyachi Amti



  • 500gms pavta or lima beans
  • ¼ cup fresh or dry coconut (grated)
  • 1 inch piece ginger
  • 10 cloves garlic
  • ¼ cup onion (finely chopped)
  • ¼ tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • ½ tbsp goda masala
  • ¼ cup oil
  • Salt to taste

How to make


Deshell the pavta and keep aside.

Make a coarse paste of coconut with ginger and garlic.



Heat oil in a pan. Tip in the pavta. Fry the pavta beans for 2 to 3 minutes. This step enhances the flavour of pavta or lima beans.



Add chopped onions to it. Fry for a minute till onions turn translucent.



Now add the coconut paste and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.



Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and goda masala.



Saute for 5 minutes until oil starts separating.



Add enough water and salt to taste. Quantity of water will be according to the required consistency of gravy. I have added one and half cups of water.



Bring it to boil. Simmer for 8 minutes.



Serve with Bhakri or chapati.

No comments:

Post a Comment